It may seem like a minefield with braces when it comes to knowing what foods you can and cannot eat. That is why we are are here to help. While not complete, we have compiled a list of general foods you should avoid while wearing braces. Hard foods can chip away or dislodge your braces causes unintended damage. Certain soft foods can stick to or become lodged behind braces which can lead to tooth decay, dislodged brackets, or loosened braces. Don’t worry. By taking the proper precautions, you can still enjoy your favorite foods.
Hard foods to avoid while wearing braces:
- Hard candy such as jolly ranchers and lollipops
- Nuts and chips
- Corn on the cob
- Hard fruit and vegetables such as apples, cauliflower, carrots, etc…
Soft foods to avoid while wearing braces:
- Stay away from sticky foods such as caramel, bubble gum, and taffy to avoid getting stuck in between your braces
- Limit sugary foods such as candy and pop to keep your teeth free from cavities or decay
A few more tips to keep in mind:
- When eating hard vegetables, cook them first so that they are soft to chew.
- While it is not recommended to consume large amounts of sugary food for anyone regardless of braces, a small sugary snack from time to time can be a well deserved treat. Just make sure to continue proper oral care!
- Finally, use common sense. This list is by no means exhausted. Before that first bite, stop and consider what impact that food may have on your braces.